Sunday, May 18, 2008

The People's Republic of China



Sometimes I'm struck with how fate works. This week I am scheduled to begin a block on the Geography of China with my class. The students and I have already had several conversations about the 7.9 earthquake that hit last week, and now we're going to spend a good chunk of time in main lesson learning about it. Sometimes it can be challenging to find a way to bring information about the science of the earth in a lively, interesting way. In the past I have ended up focusing on cultural or economic issues when it comes to geography. This week I have a fabulous opportunity to discuss the geography of China, the science behind earthquakes, and cultural issues in China in a way that will feel relevant to the students.

We'll also be reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. A couple of months ago I read this book that takes place in China around the time of the cultural revolution and loved it. It does such a lovely job of portraying the slow, steady, and incredibly rich landscape of China. I hope the students love it as much as I did.

We're definitely in the home stretch. This is our last block of the year and then it's on to eighth grade!

No comments: